Friday, October 21, 2011
Food Day is October 24th. What will you be eating?
I was making a smoothie earlier this morning and adding a banana as I normally do. I looked on the side of the banana and there was a sticker for Food Day. I had never heard of Food Day before. I decided to visit their site to learn more.
Food Day's goals are:
1. Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
2. Support sustainable farms & limit subsidies to big agribusiness
3. Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
4. Protect the environment & animals by reforming factory farms
5. Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
6. Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
There's even a Food Day map to find events in your area.
One question they ask on their site is, "why eat real"? We should all be eating real foods, instead of processed foods that have no nutritional value. Real foods consist of vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I think our world would be a much better place if people started incorporating real foods into their diets. Maybe a lot of drug companies would be put out of business because peoples lives and health would actually improve.
Food Day is this coming Monday, October 24th. What will you be eating?