Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ovarian Cancer Research Masquerade Ball 2011

I was eating dinner with my son at the Black Walnut Cafe in Rice Village last week. We go there at least twice a month because we love their food and they let me order from the kids menu (they have large portions).

As we were eating dinner, I noticed a group of women a few tables down from us. I'm not someone who eavesdrops, but it sounded like they were planning a fundraiser. Before we left, I contemplated about going over and telling them about my business as well as my husband's salon and asking them if they needed any sponsors, but I was afraid to interrupt for some reason.

I bit the bullet and decided to approach them. I basically apologized for interrupting and asked them if they were planning a fundraiser. To my surprise, they were super friendly and they were planning for the Ovarian Cancer Masquerade Ball. I told them about my shop and also told them about Justin's hair salon. I said we would be happy to offer things for their auction if they would like us to.


We exchanged info and a woman named Maya, the chairwoman of the masquerade ball, said she would be in touch. She emailed me the following day with all of the details. I decided to donate three vintage jewelry sets to benefit their auction.

I met Maya at Starbucks yesterday to give her my donations. One of the jewelry sets I donated was a 1940s vintage Weiss gold tone green crystal brooch and earrings set. One of Justin's clients had just given this set to me last week:


I also donated a really beautiful c. 1950s vintage aurora borealis necklace and earring set as well as a c.1940s-1950s vintage rhinestone brooch, necklace and earrings set. I told Maya I may try to get a few more sets together for the Ovarian Cancer Masquerade Ball.

I started researching ovarian cancer and there is really no way to detect this specific type of cancer until it's too late. According to Mayo Clinic, common symptoms include:

* Abdominal pressure, fullness, swelling or bloating
* Pelvic discomfort or pain
* Persistent indigestion, gas or nausea
* Changes in bowel habits, such as constipation
* Changes in bladder habits, including a frequent need to urinate
* Loss of appetite or quickly feeling full
* Increased abdominal girth or clothes fitting tighter around your waist
* A persistent lack of energy
* Low back pain

Most of these symptoms are symptoms that many women experience frequently. I'm sponsoring this event because I want to raise awareness about ovarian cancer and I also think it's for a great cause. If you want to become involved or donate to this cause, please visit the Ovarian Cancer Masquerade Ball website. You can make a donation in any amount or purchase tickets by visiting here.

Please feel free to spread the word and share this post.

1 comment:

  1. HOW AMAZING of you! Thats a beautiful set and I hope it brings the big money!! What a heart warming blog post! THATS the heart of a true giver right there!! BLESSINGS!!
    Brande
    http://victoryvintageb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete