Monday, January 31, 2011

Interview with Nancy of Ldy Lux Vintage


Nancy and her partner, Bri Carr operate Ldy Lux Vintage. Bri handles the the blog and Nancy does most everything else. I met Nancy of Ldy Lux Vintage through the Vintage Etsy Twitter team, also tagged on Twitter as #vett. She and I both live in the Houston area. She has really cute vintage clothing and accessories. We've chatted a few times through Twitter and also on Facebook and I hope we get to meet someday. She lives a little north of Houston and I live right smack dab near downtown.





Q. Tell us a little about yourself:

I am married to a WONDERFUL man and between us, we have 3 children. Their ages are 18, 11 and 10. We also have 4 dogs that are our babies as well :)

Q. When did you first start selling vintage clothing?

I first started selling vintage almost 2 years ago. I have always loved anything with history. I initially started selling it out of my house to some great customers. Then I stumbled upon etsy and I fell in love. I had no idea how many vintage lovers there were out in the world! I was so excited to share this passion with others.

Q. Please describe your favorite eras in detail:

I would have to say that the 60's has to be one of my favorite eras. My major influence was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. She always had such an elegance about her. I loved the way she carried herself and her style was just so classic, yet fashionable. The gloves, the hats, the dresses and the sunglasses...oh, the glasses! The glasses were to die for! I have a huge collection of glasses (both new and vintage). What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a pair from her collection.

The 80's are also a big part of who I am. I grew up in the 80's. It's when I discovered my style and fashion. So that era has a special place in my heart.

I'm also a mod type girl. I have a thing for boots. They had some of the best boots ever!

Q. Where do you buy your vintage items?

I purchase my vintage treasures from many sources. I scour the pages of Craigslist. I have found SO many great pieces this way. I also use it for finding estate sales. Estate sales are so great because you get to see the people who actually owned the pieces and sometimes you'll actually get a story about the origins of the pieces. I love finding out the history of the great items I find. Lastly, I go to thrift stores in my city and the cities close to me. When I'm on vacation, I make sure that I go to thrift stores while I'm there. I have found some great items that way!

Q. Where are your products sold (online/stores)?

The majority of my items are sold in my Etsy shop. I do occasionally have a customer that will buy from my home.

Q. What advice can you give others who are interested in selling vintage/vintage clothing/accessories?

Wow, there are SO many! However, the BEST advice I can give to someone who is just starting out is to be very patient. It takes time to get your name out there and to build relationships with other online sellers and buyers. I have to say that the vintage community is AWESOME! Everyone is so friendly and willing to help others out with tips and advice. Get yourself on Twitter, Facebook and any other social media sites to interact with others who have experience. They will be willing to help you! Also, try and answer any questions the buyer has about your items right away. I know that sometimes it's hard, but I do it by having a smart phone. All my emails and alerts go right to my phone. I would say that 90% of the time, I can answer right away. If I'm not able to, I send them a quick answer to say that I am not where I can answer their question at the moment. I give them an estimate of time (depending on what I'm doing) and then make sure I follow through. That way they aren't waiting for an answer. Oh, and also describe your items are described in detail. It helps the customer decide if that piece is for them.

Q. Describe yourself in three words:

Understanding, Supporting, Sensitive

Q. Is there is anything else you'd like to share with us?

My ultimate goal at the moment is to open a brick and mortar store in addition to my online store. I want my customers to experience the thrill of walking into the store and basking in all the vintage glory! :)

 You can find Ldy Lux Vintage online at the following places:
Etsy
Twitter
Facebook
Blog

















8 comments:

  1. Heather, this is amazing. Thank you so much for featuring me on your blog. I do have to point out that I have very recently acquired a business parter and would love to introduce her. Her name is Bri Carr and she is the brains behind our blog. I am a horrible writer. She is wonderful! Welcome Bri! Thanks again, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy! I'll add her to the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome spotlight on Nancy!! I too an an "old" vintage treasure seeker, but new to the community online! This is an awesome way to connect with others like us! Thank you Heather for this opportunity to learn about how others go their start! Nancy is just so refreshing and sounds very knowledgeable about business!Customer service and quick response tips were great. Fantastic blog Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I just fell in love with the picnic basket on your last post... divine! We've got blue skies here in NZ today so I'm thinking a cheese sandwich down on the beach could be this afternoon's 'must do', x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys! :) I'm glad you like this! I'm going to keep posting interviews, or at least try to a couple times a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nancy for mentioning me....FAB interview ! Thank you Heather !

    ReplyDelete